Thursday

The value of ‘Utang na Loob’


I SEE no utang na loob (debt of gratitude) when it comes to parents’ responsibility in rearing up their children by providing love, care and support for it is their continuing obligation for wishing to have a child of their own. While it is a distinctive Filipino cultural value, it is not however obligatory to all.
 
I would, however subscribe to the concept of moral values and integrity but not with the concept of utang na loob. I was once an innocent child. I know nothing about the world and what’s going on around. It is not my choice to live for my existence was out of my state of mind. It is a result of my parents’ family planning.

If a child receives support, sent to school to be educated and guided by their parents, I see no reason for them to say their child has a debt of gratitude for it is part of the parents’ responsibilities and marital obligation to give love, support, and education to their children. The obligation does not end as it continues at any time. I remember one of my friends who was scolded by her mother who said: “Wala kay utang na loob! Gepa-eskwela ka man, gebuhi ka nako!” And so it was pay back time in short.

Why would her mother say that? Was it the choice of the child to exist in this world? Was it necessary for a parent to tell the child about it? I don’t think so. It is and will always be the parents’ responsibility to educate their children, give them life and a better future. There is no reason to say a child has “utang na loob” for it does not exist. It is a wrong concept and should not be considered as a cultural value.
(Issue of Oct. 3-9, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment