Tuesday

Right to education

I RECEIVED a letter from a youngster regarding his studies. The letter goes:

Dear Sir Leo,
I was hoping to talk to you personally to discuss a very personal matter that concerns my right to education. I was formerly enrolled in one of the college institutions in Ormoc but I stopped because of my involvement and membership in a fraternity. Sir Leo, would it not affect if I am going to re-enroll in the same school despite their knowledge that I have been engaged in drugs even if I end it now for the sake of my education? Please send me you reply. Thanks.
-o0o-
Gerry, every student has the right to education which is a guarantee provided under our Constitution particularly section 1, Art. XVI which states: “The State shall protect and promote the right of all citizens to quality education at all levels and shall take appropriate steps to make such education accessible to all.”
In other words, this affords you to enroll in an institution where you intend to finish your college course. Be it known that membership in a fraternity is not illegal per se as it is our right to join organizations, associations or groups for a legitimate purpose. Nowhere in your letter did you speak of any violation you committed when you were still a student.

Assuming you have committed a felony, you are always entitled to due process of law; the right to be heard and explain your side. Therefore, I can’t think of any reason for your denial should you re-enroll in college. But you have to remember that every school is clothed with academic freedom and is vested with the right to formulate policies for the legal and moral upbringing of the students’ future. Such policy may include penalties of expulsion which you have to take notice of. Therefore, I would advice you to be morally responsible while you are a student and even after graduation.
(WLWE issue of Sept. 5-11, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment